In the 1930's, company founder Max Gray established Max Gray Lumber and Construction Company, Inc. as a lumberyard and residential home builder in Hibbing, MN. In the Mid-1940's, A.R. (Bob) Erickson joined the company, became manager of operations and, in the early 1960's, along with two partners, bought out Max Gray. Soon after, Mr. Erickson bought out his partners to become the company’s sole owner. During this time, building efforts shifted toward commercial and light industrial construction projects. Max Gray Construction built its last home in 1964.
Growth continued through the 1970's. In the early 1980's, sons James and Scott Erickson began managing the business, assuming ownership in 1985. The company expanded to the Duluth area in 1987 and, by 1997, had grown to become a preferred contractor in northeast Minnesota and northwest Wisconsin. That same year, Jim Erickson became president and sole owner of Max Gray Construction, Inc.
In 2002, Jim Abrahamson was named Vice President of Construction and Bill Lowry became Vice President of Finance, with both men becoming company shareholders. The turn of the century brought more than $20 million in work — a company milestone and a compelling response to their straightforward method of doing business. In 2014 Jim Abrahamson was named President and Jim Erickson was named Chief Executive Officer. That same year revenues broke the $30 million mark.
According to Jim Erickson, “Slow and steady growth over the past 30 years has allowed Max Gray Construction to acquire and retain quality employees — that have always been and continue to be key to our success.”