Recognition & News
May, 2018: Max Gray breaks ground on new GSC North facility in Virginia
On May 10, 2018, Max Gray Construction officially broke ground on its biggest project to-date, the St. Louis County Government Services Center-North building in Virginia, MN.
The new, $19 million dollar facility, which is replacing the aging Northland Office Building directly across the street, will house 180 employees and serve as a hub for people in Virginia and throughout the surrounding area to access county services of more than ten different departments.
The two-story, 63,000-square-foot building will be Max Gray Construction’s largest project to-date. Despite the size, this type of project is not new to Hibbing-based Max Gray – who has been involved in the development of several government buildings throughout northern Minnesota over the years, from Duluth to Hibbing and up to Crane Lake.
“We’re so excited to get our shovels in the ground,” said Mike Carlson, project manager for Max Gray. “This project means a lot for both the people throughout the region and for Max Gray, being able to contribute to the continued growth of the Iron Range.”
The project is scheduled to be completed by the fall of 2019.
View the complete release.
April, 2017: RRA terminal named ‘Project of the Year’
- The Range Regional Airport was awarded Project of the Year for Commercial Service Airport by the Minnesota Council of Airports (MCOA) at its 33rd Annual Minnesota Airports Conference held earlier this month in Mankato. The project submitted was for the Terminal Expansion Project. This is the second accolade for the Terminal Expansion Project. It also was recognized as the 2016 Commercial Service Project of the Year by the Great Lakes Chapter of the American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE). The AAAE award was presented in South Bend, Ind., at the AAAE Great Lakes Chapter Conference in August 2016.
A vision that began in 2007 to increase air service and aviation services, the terminal project was completed in three phases between 2013 and 2016, and included a taxiway expansion, relocation of the fuel farm, terminal construction and terminal apron construction. Challenges included relocating passenger services to a temporary facility and funding.
Max Gray Construction served as a primary contractor for the project.
View the complete release.
March 9, 2016: Delta Supplier Diversity Star Small Business of the Year Award
- Received for work completed on Delta's Iron Range Customer Engagement Center (IRC) in Chisholm, Minnesota. Delta Star Award honorees are nominated and selected by a review committee based on several categories including quality, value creation, innovation, customer service, cost savings and community involvement. The awards recognize businesses that have made significant contributions toward the advancement of Supplier Diversity as well as superior achievements in business operations. Accepting the award on behalf of Max Gray Construction were James Abrahamson, president, Brian Ross, project manager, and Paul Chuck, project superintendent. Enjoy a video clip of the highlights.
Spring 2015: Recognized by the Minnesota chapter of The Associated General Contractors of America (AGC of Minnesota) for 25 years of membership and support.
February 2011: Hibbing Area Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year Award
- Selected as the first recipient of this award, it honored our entire business including employees, managers, owners and history.
- We were chosen for this award by a committee based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated growth and stability
- Excellence and/or innovation in our field
- Dedication and service to the community
- Longevity of business and loyalty to employees
- Special contributions of leadership and mentoring of others
- Support and promotion of the region, chamber and business community
- Our work on notable projects in the Hibbing area that were recognized included:
- Hibbing High School
- Fairview University Medical Center-Mesabi (addition)
- Fairview Plaza (renovation)
- Local strip malls Hibbing Marketplace and Westside Commons
- Realife Cooperative of Hibbing
- Additions and renovations to Blessed Sacrament and Assumption School
- HillCrest Adams, HillCrest Alice and HillCrest Assisted-Living in Nashwauk
- Expansion of Hibbing Community College’s north campus
- Barr Engineering (renovation)
- Security State Bank (original building, plus additions and renovation)
- The Hibbing Park Hotel and Hibbing Business Center